Thursday, November 15, 2007

Tuesday's Doctor's Appointment

I saw the orthopedic surgeon Dr. Nader M. Hebela, MD. He basically told me exactly what I thought he would say. Basically I am screwed and have to live with the neck pain and problems forever. They cannot do surgery unless it is life threatening. The reason is because of the complex nature of my cervical spine. It would be to much of a risk to go in there again plus because of the problems being complex they could not fix anything and would only be able fuse my spine further. Since my 1st surgery of spinal fusion has only resulted in nothing but further problems and uncontrollable pain I would never approve the surgery. The only positive from the neck fusion is it stabilized my upper cervical spine.

OH Well, I guess a better get used to living with this condition and pain for a long time. I will continue the pain management program of Nerve Block injections every two weeks and being on the Fentanyl patch. I will also do my best by using conservative methods like
1. wearing a soft neck collar whenever I drive, watch TV, or work at the computer
2. Quit smoking
3. Over the counter pain medication for breakthrough pain
4. Walking and do some exercises not using my neck

No comments: